Pages

Wednesday 16 March 2011

"Our sin and shame, by grace erased (?)"

So over the past few months I've been working on the song "Keep Singing of the Cross" which I believe is now finished (thanks to the help of Pete Coggan).

Upon submitting the song for theological checking, I was asked about the line I wrote "Our sin and shame by grace erased". Was that what it says biblically? or does the bible paint a different picture?

In my head it had seemed quite straight forward but i'm glad i was asked the question, as i never want to simply write lyrics as I think they sound good.

Initially I came up with nothing, the word erased didn't seem to appear in my bible (NIV) and the passages i looked up seemed to refer instead to our sins being covered up or forgotten rather than being erased...

However after some further delving i found this Acts 3 passage where Peter says to the Jews he's preaching to:

"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord" Acts 3:19

Looking at a lexicon i saw that "wiped out" or "blotted" in the greek is exaleiphō which means "to wipe off, wipe away, to obliterate, erase, wipe out, blot out"

Therefore we can say that Jesus's blood is the eraser that blots out or erases our sins... and they are remember no more... It is not that God simply erases them without a cost though but it is paid through the precious blood of Jesus upon a cross...

I loved having to search to see if the lyric was theologically correct as it has revealed afresh to me the wonders of His grace that He would remove my sins because of His great love! (plus it's always great to have a good rummage through a lexicon)

Looking forward to getting a chance to play the song soon, hope you like it for those who hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment